10 12 18 by Scott M. Graffius ☕️ 2 minute read
Social media is quickly becoming one of the most important aspects of digital marketing. Well-executed, it provides several benefits: improved brand and marketplace awareness, engagement with a worldwide audience, increased traffic, enhanced search engine optimization (SEO) rankings, and more.
The lifespan of posts is of interest. Because content can live forever, a more helpful metric is half-life. It’s the amount of time it takes for a post to receive half of its total engagements. As summarized in the image above (a higher resolution version is available here) and described below, the half-life of posts varies by platform.
- Half-life for posts: 18 minutes
- Reference: https://moz.com/blog/when-is-my-tweets-prime-of-life
- Half-life for posts: 30 minutes
- Reference: http://www.wiselytics.com/blog/facebook-posts-lifetime-even-shorter-than-you-thought/
- Half-life for posts 1,140 minutes (= 19 hours)
- Reference: https://get.simplymeasured.com/2014-q4-instagram-study.html#sm.00010ubysp4k5cujr2e2hdhgkg67l
- Half-life for posts: 1,440 minutes (= 24 hours)
- Reference: https://espirian.co.uk/linkedin-improve-engagement/
- Half-life for posts: 153,300 minutes (= 3.5 months)
- Reference: https://www.webfx.com/blog/social-media/why-pinterest-better-than-facebook-brands/
Be mindful of the half-life values when posting content.
You're invited to find out more about Scott:
- Check out his bio,
- Find out about his speaking engagements,
- See and like his author page at Amazon,
- See and like his video channel at Vimeo, and
- Visit the website for his business — Exceptional PPM and PMO Solutions.
And connect with Scott on social: